Plot layering: The best and worst of times
If you don't have a premise already, use this one: Why did the protagonist fake those maps?
And now the plot thickens... Use each prompt to speedwrite what happens, for a few minutes for each prompt. (Ahhh... is bad for your character, YAY! is good.)
- Ahhh... Somebody knows something important and isn't telling. Who? What?
- YAY! The opposition has a personal problem. (Schadenfreude result!) Who? What?
- Ahhh... The protagonist has an awkward character trait that makes it more difficult. What is it?
- YAY! Somebody malicious helps somehow. Who? How? Intentionally or not?
- Ahhh... Add a new character to make it more difficult. Who are they? Why's it worse?
- YAY! The main character discovers a crucial object. What is it? Why does it help?
- Ahhh... The clear, obvious route to success is completely wrong. Why?
- YAY! Something we thought was impossible happens. What?